Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How Ghastly! Reaper Bones Rats and Ghast


With all of my terrain building materials in storage, I'll need to postpone my celebration of Flocktober until a later date. Instead, to celebrate the Halloween season I've decided to knock out as many spooky Bones from the Kickstarter bundle I received this summer.

Reaper Ghast


This fella has some ropey musculature and a weird pose, but I think overall it's not a bad sculpt. The detail in the face seemed a bit soft, but we'll just chalk that up to decay setting in.

Reaper Rats


Rats don't seem too exciting, but these little guys have quite a lot of personality. I gave them a black undercoat, and hit their undersides and legs with lighter grays. Ears, paws, snout and rail got a base of medium brown. I picked out some ridges on their tales with a few stripes of pink and touched up their ears with the pink as well.


I'm expecting a shipment of the Dwarven Forge terrain and tried out some of Stefan's painting techniques on the flagstone bases of the rats. Black undercoat with a drybrush of dark gray, a few stones picked out in medium brown and then an overall drybrush of greenish tan.

So much kickstarting! Reaper just launched their second Bones kickstarter. I thought I could resist, but already I'm being tempted by the quirky monsters they are offering.

5 comments:

  1. Nice, I have my rats on bases, but they look pretty good as is on the bricks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, those rats are painted so realistically! Scary! Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rats came out way better than mine. Very nice!

    I like the rats a lot - I ended up with extras after trading with someone, and I find I kind of want more of them so I can start in on different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. better not open these pictures up in front of the my wife

    ReplyDelete