Wednesday, January 16, 2013

WIP for Crusader Miniatures Carthaginian "Libyan Spearman"


This big block of 32 Carthaginian spearmen are going to take quite a while to finish, but I figured I could post a progress update. A few more progress pics after the jump.



I started with my standard brown primer and started blocking in the colors. I decided to try a little preshading, using thinned down black to get into the cracks of the pteruges, and provide a little shading under the shoulder pieces, straps, and arms.


I went back over the linen cuirass and pteruges with some GW Astronomican Gray foundation paint, and then a coat of Vallejo Bone White. The preshading around the straps and shoulders didn't show up once the lighter colors were applied, but the black between the pteruges provided a lot of definition.


I also experimented with some ornamentation on the linothorax, adding thin lines to the shoulder pieces and armored skirt. It's a bit tedious, and I'm not sure the effect works at distance.

Plain linothorax on the left, the detailed version on the right.

5 comments:

  1. These look great! I really like your idea of pre-shading the pteruges and then simply leaving it exposed in the gaps.... brilliant really. This will save me some trouble and time when I do my Libyans (plus I think it will look a bit better). Thanks for the tip! It appears you and I are painting very similar armies currently :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, it's been great seeing someone else working on the same army I am. You've given me a lot of ideas and inspiration! :)

      Delete
  2. Very cool, I like how these guys are turning out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...