Friday, January 6, 2012

A Calamity of Celts

I made some progress on my Warlord Games Celt Warriors over the last week or so. I've got the whole group painted up to table quality and ready for a final dip in Army Painter Soft Tone to pull them all together and give 'em a little more shading.



I was a little impatient with getting this lot done.  For the Ancient Germans I had a pretty strict color palette of muted earth tones. I wanted the Celts to stand out with much more vivid colors. I also know the Army Painter will soften the colors quite a bit, and any patterns that aren't high contrast will become dull and difficult to make out.  The colors and patterns are what give a Celt warband its personality, so I overcompensated using a lot of off-white, GW Foundation Red, navy blue, and bright green with striking high contrast patterns.

As I continued to work the group up though, the overall effect was a little to clown-like. I tried repainting, switching to muted colors, trying a lot of different patterns, etc.  In the end, there's a lot going on with the entire warband, and without a really unified color palette I think the effect might be a little TOO chaotic, even for such a wild band of barbarians. I've sunk enough time into these though and I'm eager to get them on the table. I'll just chalk this up to a learning experience for my next band of Celts.


1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled on your blog!! Excellent painting!!! The tartan looks very very nice!!

    ReplyDelete