Saturday, February 16, 2013

Awesome Hoth Explosions

I was puttering around the internets and came across this gigantic "Battle of Hoth" diorama. Pretty neat, but the thing that really caught my eye were the realistic explosions.



Those are awesome! I'd love to be able to create something similar for wargaming barrage markers. Creator "Zipidi Dooda" helpfully uploaded a tutorial for creating them to YouTube:


Spoiler Alert: At the end of the video Zipidi warns against leaving the integral lighting element lit for more than a few minutes lest the entire explosion catch fire. That's a little TOO realistic. Still, I bet a scaled down version using cooler LED lighting effects might work.

2 comments:

  1. They certainly look very effective!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look excellent...if you used LEDS instead of fluorescents, you could keep them on as long as you want. I use orange leds on my battlefield. My whole battlefield( 25ft x 5 ft )is made of styrofoam so anything hot would not work.
    That is a great tutorial, I like the use of chicken wire, I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete